skip to Main Content

What are the steps to getting a sport pilot license?

  • Start ground and flight training in a trike weight-shift control light-sport aircraft from a Certified Flight Instructor with sport rating (CFIS), or a regular Certified Flight Instructor (CFI).
  • Obtain student pilot certificate to solo from a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE), local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO), or from an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) while obtaining a third-class medical.
  • To solo, have CFI or CFIS train per Part 61 requirements and take an exam on aircraft specifics and airport procedures/regulations. The instructor then endorses Student Pilot certificate for make/model and provides appropriate logbook endorsements/limitations to solo.
  • Receive endorsements to take knowledge test. This can be through home study or from a CFI or CFIS.
  • Pass FAA weight-shift control aircraft knowledge exam (computer based). (Typically known as “written” test)
  • Meet the knowledge and flight proficiency requirements in Parts 61.309 through 61.313 from a CFI or CFIS which includes minimum 15 hour dual and 5 hours solo in a weight-shift control LSA.
  • Receive and log 2 hours flight training 2 months days before checkride (practical test) in preparation for “checkride” and obtain endorsements for practical test (checkride) from CFIS or CFI on in logbook and FAA form 8710-11.
  • Pass the checkride (practical test) with a Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE) for Sport Pilots based on the Weight-Shift Control Practical Test Standards (PTS).
  • Receive Sport Pilot Certificate and logbook endorsements to fly weight-shift control trike LSA.
Back To Top