skip to Main Content

Sport pilots can fly a wide range of weight-shift control (WSC) light-sport aircraft (LSA) from factory built to homebuilt aircraft. This type of aircraft is also known as a sport trike, or simply as a trike. With streamlined aircraft manufacturing processes and less government bureaucracy there is less overall expense. With less cost, and more sport trikes to choose from, you can train in, fly, and own your own light-sport aircraft! A broader discussion of exactly what a weight-shift control, light-sport aircraft is, can be found at this link.

There are additional varieties of weight-shift control aircraft such as WSC S-LSA (Weight-shift Control Special Light-sport Aircraft), and WSC E-LSA (Weight-shift Control Experimental Light-sport Aircraft). Click the links for more in-depth discussions of these aircraft types.

A full exploration of trike, light-sport aircraft ownership should be a priority for anyone contemplating this type of purchase and undertaking. There are many things to consider – such as cost, financing, insurance, safety, and maintenance.


Ultralight Verses Light-Sport Aircraft

An Ultralight is a “single place” vehicle (the FAA does not call ultralights Aircraft) that requires no pilots license. These can only weigh up to 254 pounds empty. There is very little regulation on the aircraft or the operator except that they are restricted from flying in busier airspace. The Ultralight Trainer, two-place Ultralight, a heavier ultralight used for dual training (instructor and student), evolved until 2004 when the ultralight trainers were transitioned to Light-Sport Aircraft. To learn more about Ultralight vehicles go to Ultralight trikes.

As you are exploring the world of WSC-LSA, an important discussion of the rules governing who can/will do maintenance, repair and inspection of the craft you may fly or even own should be part of your education early on. We cover these and many more important topics in the rest of this site, so read on!

Back To Top